Saturday, May 15, 2010

Spin Fishing Again

This morning after our routine of getting coffee and cupcakes at the local shop downtown, Stefan and I stopped by Boulder Creek, just over the hill from the University of Colorado football field.  Well, I just happened to have a spinning rod in my truck, and it just happend to be set up.  This was my old spinning rod combo from when I was a kid, a 4.5 ft Diawa complete with a blue foam handle.  I tied on a gold 00 Mepps and, as we walked to the stream, I saw a few trout rising.

Yesterday after work I scoped out the stream, which is running a bit high due to snowpack run off.  I saw this spot, water falling about three feet rapidly over some boulders, forming eddies on both sides and a long swift run downstream.  It had nice flat rocks next to the falling water which made for some easy casting to bring the spinners back through the eddies.

Soon after we got there, I was into a fish and let Stefan reel him in.  A little 8 inch brown that Stefan threw back in.  Had a few more strikes and some fish that got off.   We tried upstream a bit, where I cast down and across a long run, let the spinner drift back across the stream, and pulled it back up along the near bank.  We caught another this way, and again I had a few get off.

It was nice throwing the spinning rod again.  Not sure if it was due to the fact that it was much easier to catch the fish than with flies, or the feel of the blade vibrating in the current, or watching it flash as it drifted across stream, or feeling the tug of the fish as it moved closer.

Later, Stefan and I went swimming at the rec center.  We looked out the window and there was a pond behind it.  When we left, we walked over for 20 minutes or so and caught a few small bass before going home.

No comments: